PILAF with Einkorn, Emmer or Spelt
Ancient Grains are the new rice. Where we once used white or brown rice for pilaf's and side dishes, ancient grains like Einkorn, Emmer and Spelt make amazing, great-tasting side dishes. Use your favorite garnishes, herbs and vegetables to make stunning, flavorful dishes.
This Emmer Pilaf uses Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes, garlic, onion and broccoli to make a great-tasting dish that can be used year 'round.
Sometimes referred to as farro, Emmer, Einkorn and Spelt are flavorful and chewy, and so healthy!
1 cup emmer/einkorn/spelt
3 cups water (boiled)
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 medium onion (chopped)
1/2 cup broccoli (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
10-12 cherry tomatoes (halved)
1. Cook the Emmer, Einkorn or Spelt in boiling water until tender (around 20-30 minutes), drain and set aside.
2. While the grains are cooking, chop the onions, garlic and broccoli, set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in in a larger fry pan, saute, the onions first till tender, add the grains and stir till onions and grains are blended. Add the garlic and broccoli, saute all ingredients until the broccoli turns darker green but still crunchy.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the tomatoes, give everything a quick stir and serve.